December 27, 2023

"The Clock" - a prose poem for a lady

I am neither a big fan of the poet Baudelaire nor am I a big fan of prose poems, but this one got my attention.

I'll admit that the opening got my interest and I wanted to know how, but I too often find prose poems to be just prose. Like flash fiction. Poetic language? Perhaps, but many novelists have poetic language but I would not call a novel an epic prose poem. 

I'm told that intent is key in making a prose poem a poem. That is a tough one to evaluate.

Feel free to educate me on this with a comment.


"L'Horloge" (The Clock)
a prose poem by Charles Baudelaire [translated by David Lehman]
– for a lady

How do the Chinese tell time? By looking at the eyes of their
cats. Here’s how.

A lost missionary, afoot in a sleepy suburb of Nankin, had
forgotten his watch and asked a little boy what time it was.

After a moment’s hesitation, this street urchin of the celestial
Empire said: ‘‘Wait, I will tell you.’’ A few seconds later, he

reappeared with a very fat cat in his arms, looked into the 
whites of her eyes, and said, ‘‘It is almost but not quite noon.’’ 
Which was the case.

As for me, if I favor my beautiful Feline, so felicitously named –

the honor of her sex, the pride of my heart, and the perfume 
of my spirit, day and night, rain or shine – in the depths of her
 adorable eyes I can always tell what time it is, and it is always
 the same time, an hour vast, solemn, limitless as space undivided
 into minutes and seconds – a lingering hour no clock observes, 
soft as a sigh, swift as a glance.

And if an intruder came to disturb my study of this enchanting dial,
if some malevolent genie, some demon of ill fortune, were to address
me as a vain and idle mortal and say: ‘‘What are you staring at?
What are you looking for in the eyes of that creature? Is time told there,
 and can you tell it?’’ I would reply without hesitation. ‘‘I know what time
it is; it is Eternity.’’

Madame, is not this a most meritorious bagatelle, and as full of vain
self-regard as your high and mighty self? Frankly, my dear, it has given me
so much pleasure embroidering this pretentious piece of puffery that I ask
nothing of you in return.

from the Summer 2019 issue of The Yale Review, in which four other prose poems by Charles Baudelaire appear.



Visit our website at poetsonline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

* * All comments must be approved by the site administrator before appearing in order to prevent spam.