January 22, 2024

The Cento


street wall collage   -   Photo:PxHere

The cento is a poetry form that I used with students but that I haven't used myself or used as a prompt on Poets Online. "Cento" comes from the Latin word for “patchwork." Centos are sometimes called collage poems because they are made up of lines from poems by other poets. 

Poets often borrow lines from other writers. It might be an epigraph or the lines might be mixed with their own writing. It sounds like plagiarism and that was part of my point in using it with students. How can you take from other writers legitimately? In prose, we have citations and works cited, but in poetry, other than the epigraph, we don't always cite the source.

If I were to use "Beauty is truth, truth beauty - that is all" in my poem, I might put it in quotes or italics, but I probably wouldn't drop in John Keats' name. But a true cento is composed entirely of lines from other sources. 

Early examples can be found in the work of Homer and Virgil. The cento evidently originated in ancient Greece. There are examples in Aristophanes's plays where lines have been taken from Aeschylus and Homer.  Roman poets, as early as the late second century, lifted lines from Virgil. It seems to me to be a bit of thievery. Borrowing can be a creative process. Copyright law allows for reuse when the new use is "transformative." But being transformative is a high bar, which is probably why I haven't used it as a prompt for Poets Online. Separating thievery from transformation is not as easy to do as one might think.


Visit our website at poetsonline.org

2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of the form before but it brought to mind how I used collage as a therapeutic tool with Family Therapy clients ... and, on a different front, an ongoing debate I have with the organizer of an annual arts competition I routinely enter ... about the legality of using images borrowed from magazines, newspapers and the Internet in collage.

    I challenged myself to write a 32 line Cento drawing lines from one month of the Poets Online archive, settling on July 2020 ~ Undoing. I debated on whether to include the poem itself ... in case you decided to use Cento as November's Prompt (in which case I'd submit it there).

    Here's what I came up with. Thanks for the challenge.

    NOT WITHOUT HOPE

    a Cento ~ lines borrowed from Poets Online archive ~ July 2020

    I’m not sure what we could have done
    That night in December
    On a boardwalk somewhere in the south of England
    At the foot of the steps at Waterloo Station
    Backs hugging the drop off lane
    The shadowy valleys of your eyes filling with light
    Life blossoming into being

    We did not speak of fear
    Not for the sun’s burning
    We didn’t speak of the shadow of death
    Our past lives didn’t float off to sea
    Beyond the piers and dry-docks

    I wrote a list of all my regrets
    As though the world weren’t ending
    Making it unusable in the future
    I’m not wanting to think what could still be
    I am not a tree for you to water / I am not

    It's never pleasant to undo
    That which is not
    But we are not alone, not without a voice
    No new-born cry, nor last gasp
    It is the emptiness out of
    The first time we met

    There is reason why we must not forget
    Memories that haven't been fractured by time
    Despite a lot of long days and wasted efforts
    Lives, leaving nothing behind
    Like a beckoning future

    It is where time is born
    The screen where words appear
    Who knew we would outlive and outlast our wildest
    expectations?

    Frank Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also took up the prompt. Mine is made from lines I heard at an open poetry reading.

    Open Reading Cento

    My body lets me know where it is
    with many, many sensations
    but nothing is worth thinking about.
    It really is. Nothing is worth thinking about
    because there are no in-between times.
    All times are for mindfulness.

    I eat slowly.
    Things you enjoy should be done slowly.
    Slow is not better than fast, it’s just different.

    Practice the feeling of calm.
    Sit still, relaxed.
    Close your eyes.
    Rest on your breath.
    Mind states,
    body sensations
    What is true?

    Discomfort is clinging to an experience
    that can’t continue
    or being eager to end before it is over.
    Enjoy what is happening right now.

    I sat today in a rainy cafe
    writing this poem
    and
    wondering about the death of death
    and enjoying my coffee and a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete

* * All comments must be approved by the site administrator before appearing in order to prevent spam.