The 2021 Longlist for the National Book Award for Poetry has been announced.
Nine of the ten poets on the 2021 Longlist are first-time National Book Award honorees. Two of the poets have been honored by the Pulitzer Prize, and two have received Whiting Awards. Other prizes that have recognized the Longlisted poets include the Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize, the Shelley Memorial Award, and the Pushcart Prize. One of the books comes from a university press and nine come from independent publishers, including Parlor Press, with its first title recognized by the National Book Awards. The list features poets in all stages of their careers, including four debut poetry collections.
- Threa Almontaser, The Wild Fox of Yemen, Graywolf Press
- Baba Badji, Ghost Letters, Parlor Press
- Desiree C. Bailey, What Noise Against the Cane, Yale University Press
- CM Burroughs, Master Suffering, Tupelo Press
- Andrés Cerpa, The Vault, Alice James Books
- Martín Espada, Floaters, W. W. Norton & Company
- Forrest Gander, Twice Alive, New Directions
- Douglas Kearney, Sho, Wave Books
- Hoa Nguyen, A Thousand Times You Lose Your Treasure, Wave Books
- Jackie Wang, The Sunflower Cast a Spell to Save Us from the Void, Nightboat Books
Visit our website at poetsonline.org